Updating An Agent
TIBCO occasionally releases a new version of the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent to improve functionality or performance. When this occurs, the following message displays on the Agents page:
Agent is out of date
In this case, TIBCO Scribe® Online automatically updates the Agent.
Note: If the Agent is being updated, it appears to be stopped for approximately a minute before automatically restarting. If you see the Agent service is stopped, wait for at least a minute before trying to restart it.
TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent Automatic Updates
The TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent contacts the cloud every three hours to see if there is a newer Agent available. If the Agent determines that it is out-of-date, it automatically updates itself.
Note: On-Premise Agents and installed Connectors are not automatically updated if the installed Agent is more than one version older than the latest released Agent. For example, if the Agent you have installed is version 1.1.1 and the released Agent version is 1.5.1, your Agent will not be updated. If your Agent is 1.3.1 it will be updated.
If your Agent is too old to update automatically, the Agent status is red and displays the following message: Obsolete, install new Agent. You can manually install an Agent, update your Solutions to use that Agent, and then delete the obsolete Agent.
Reprovisioning The Cloud Agent
You can, if required, delete and reprovision a Cloud Agent. To do so, TIBCO suggests that you:
- If necessary, install an On-Premise Agent. See Installing A TIBCO Scribe® Online On-Premise Agent.
- Edit each Solution that uses the Cloud Agent to set it to a different Agent temporarily. From the Agent drop-down in the Solution Edit page, select the On-Premise Agent. Changes are saved immediately.
- When all Solutions are using the On-Premise Agent, you can delete the current Cloud Agent and provision a new one. See Provisioning A TIBCO Scribe® Online Cloud Agent.
Note: In general, you should never need to reprovision a Cloud Agent.
Updating The On-Premise Agent Manually
You can, if required, force an On-Premise Agent to update immediately. To do so, restart the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent Windows Service. When the Agent restarts, it always checks for the latest version.
Note: If your current Agent is too old, it will not update automatically and its status is set to Obsolete in the User Interface. You must install a new Agent, move your Solutions to that Agent, and then delete the old Agent.
Reinstalling The On-Premise Agent
In general, the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent updates without any human intervention required. However, if you need to reinstall your Agent for some reason, this section guides you through the steps.
- From the Microsoft Windows Control Panel select Add or Remove Programs in Windows Server 2003, or Programs and Features in all other supported operating systems.
- Right-click the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent and select Uninstall. A message similar to the following may display:
- If you see this message, select Automatically close applications and then select OK.
- Follow the instructions to uninstall the Agent from this computer and then close the Control Panel.
- If needed, restart TIBCO Scribe® Online. From the Solutions page, view whether the status of any Solutions that use this Agent are something other than OK (). Since there is currently no Agent, this is expected. For more information about status, see TIBCO Scribe® Online Agents.
Download The Agent Software
Navigate to the Agents Dashboard Widget, select Add, and choose On-Premise Agent. If you already have a Cloud Agent installed, Add takes you directly to the Install On-Premise Agent dialog.
- Select Install On-Premise Agent to download the Agent installer.
- Select Copy to copy the Agent Key. The Agent Key is required in a later step.
- Locate the ScribeInstaller.exe file in your default downloads folder.
- Right-click the installer file and select Run to begin the installation. You may see one or more Security Warning messages. Select Run or Yes as needed to open the System Configuration Check page.
Check System Configuration
The System Configuration Check page displays, which verifies that all of the TIBCO Scribe® Online prerequisites have been met. Since this check was performed the first time you installed an Agent, you can just select Next to open the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent Setup wizard.
Install The TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent
- From the Welcome to the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent Setup page, select Next.
- Paste in the Agent Key that you copied earlier, then select Next.
Note: If necessary, move the Wizard window to copy the key.
- Decide where to install the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent.
- To use the default location, select Next.
- To select a different location, select Change, browse to the new location, and select Next.
- Select Install Agent to install the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent, then select Finish.
- After you select Finish, the Agent connects with the TIBCO Scribe® Online cloud, which may take a few minutes. When the connection is successful, the following message displays on the Install On Premise Agent dialog box:
Agent succesfully installed.
- Select Close to close the Install dialog box.
After an Agent is installed or provisioned, its status displays in the Agents page, the Agents Dashboard widget, and the Agent drop-down list in Solutions and Connections. Agents that are ready to use display a green checkmark ().
Configure Solutions To Use The New Agent
The next step is to make sure all Solutions are using the new Agent. From the Solutions page, you need to edit each Solution that used the outdated Agent. For each Solution:
- Open a Solution from the Solutions page.
- In the Agent drop-down list, select the name of the new Agent. Changes are saved immediately.
Note: The Agent list displays all Agents, whether or not they are valid. Make sure you select a valid Agent.
Now that your Solutions are using the new Agent, test all of the Connections that are using the Agent. From the Connections page, for each Connection:
- Select a Connection to open it.
- Select the new Agent from the Agent drop-down list.
Note: The Agent list displays all Agents in this Organization. Some Agents in the list may not be associated with the selected Connection.
- Select Test Connection.
- If the test is successful, select OK to save your changes and close this dialog.
- Select a Solution from the Solutions page and select Run to ensure that your Solution can run with the new Agent.
Remove The Old Agent
If desired, you can delete the old Agent from TIBCO Scribe® Online.
- From the menu, select More > Agents.
- From the Agents page, select the Agent you want to delete.
- Select Delete from the Gear menu . The Delete Confirmation dialog displays.
Note: The Delete menu option is enabled only if there are no Solutions using this Agent.
- If you are sure you want to delete the Agent, select OK. All references to that Agent are deleted from TIBCO Scribe® Online.
Note: Since you already uninstalled the Agent from the computer, you do not need to uninstall it now.