Installing A TIBCO Scribe® Online On-Premise Agent
The TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent facilitates communication between the data sources used by a Solution. It provides secure communications to TIBCO Scribe® Online without opening security holes in your corporate firewall. The Agent is required to communicate with both your source and target data as well as with TIBCO Scribe® Online in the cloud.
Determining which Agent type to select varies depending on the TIBCO Scribe® Online Connector being used and the location of the data being accessed, either on-premise or in the cloud.
- The On-Premise Agent can be used in Solutions with any Connection and with both cloud and local datastores.
- The Cloud Agent can only be used when all Connections in a Solution and associated datastores support the Cloud Agent.
Refer to the documentation for the specific Connector for additional information. See Managing Connections for a list of TIBCO Scribe® Online Connectors.
Note: If your site uses proxy servers, see Installing An On-Premise Agent With Proxy Servers Or Firewalls for information.
Make sure that all of the following TCP ports are open. If needed, talk to your IT Administrator:
- Port 443. This port is required for outbound Agent communication with the TIBCO Scribe® Online website. TIBCO Scribe® Online can respond to Agent communication using port 443. If this port is not open, the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent is not fully accessible from the TIBCO Scribe® Online website.
- Port 80. This port is required for outbound communication for SSL Certificate validation.
- Ports 5671 and 5672, and 9350 through 9354. These are outbound ports used by the Agent to communicate with the Enterprise Service Bus (ESB). The ESB can respond to Agent communication using the same port. If your network policies prohibit you from opening these outbound ports, contact TIBCO Support for assistance with an alternate configuration.
Important: Performance is slower when the Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) is not used.
If you have not configured your inbound and outbound ports correctly or if you have not added an exception to your firewall for TIBCO Scribe® Online, the computer where your TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent is installed may experience very high CPU usage.
See the Check Ports In Agent Environment Knowledge Base article for instructions on determining whether or not the appropriate ports can be accessed by the Agent.
Start The TIBCO Scribe® Online On-Premise Agent Installation
Navigate to the Agents Dashboard Widget, select Add, and choose On-Premise Agent. If you already have a Cloud Agent installed, Add takes you directly to the Install On-Premise Agent dialog.
- Select Install On-Premise Agent to download the Agent installer.
- Select Copy to copy the Agent Key. The Agent Key is required in a later step.
- Locate the ScribeInstaller.exe file in your default downloads folder.
- Right-click the installer file and select Run to begin the installation. You may see one or more Security Warning messages. Select Run or Yes as needed to open the System Configuration Check page.
Check The System Configuration
The System Configuration Check page displays, ensuring that all of the TIBCO Scribe® Online prerequisites have been met:
- If any Agent Requirements have not been met, you are prompted to install them now.
Note: If Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 or later is not installed, an error message displays. If needed, install .NET Framework 4.7.2 (full version).
- Select the End User License Agreement link and review the license file. Check the I agree to the End User License File check box to accept the license agreement.
- If all of the prerequisites have been met, select Next. The TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent Setup wizard opens.
Install The TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent
- From the Welcome to the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent Setup page, select Next.
- Paste in the Agent Key that you copied earlier, then select Next.
Note: If necessary, move the Wizard window to copy the key.
- Decide where to install the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent.
- To use the default location, select Next.
- To select a different location, select Change, browse to the new location, and select Next.
- Select Install Agent to install the TIBCO Scribe® Online Agent, then select Finish.
- After you select Finish, the Agent connects with the TIBCO Scribe® Online cloud, which may take a few minutes. When the connection is successful, the following message displays on the Install On Premise Agent dialog box:
Agent succesfully installed.
- Select Close to close the Install dialog box.
After an Agent is installed or provisioned, its status displays in the Agents page, the Agents Dashboard widget, and the Agent drop-down list in Solutions and Connections. Agents that are ready to use display a green checkmark ().
While you can install multiple On-Premise Agents on a single computer, Scribe suggests that you only use multiple Agents if your site is supporting multiple Organizations, such as an ISV. In this case, you may want to install one Agent for each Organization your site supports.
Note: Each Agent and Agent Service requires additional computer resources and memory. Using multiple Agents may not improve performance for a single Organization.